At St Francis Xavier’s College, we want all our pupils to:
‘Know more, remember more and do more over time’
We are dedicated to delivering an inclusive, high quality curriculum which enhances the life of every student and inspires them to achieve excellence. Our curriculum is designed to develop the personal attributes needed to be safe, happy, and considerate of others. We raise aspirations and tackle the challenges of social mobility by providing all our students with the skills, knowledge and qualifications needed to be prosperous members of society who make a positive contribution to those around them.
St Francis Xavier’s College is committed to:
- providing the core skills, knowledge and understanding that are required for the 21st century.
- developing a sense of social and moral responsibility; encouraging students to be respectful of others, mindful of their role in their community, in society at large and in the global environment.
- providing subject choices that support students’ learning and progression, ensuring that our vision, mission and values are realised, thus enabling students to have the cultural capital they need to succeed in life.
- providing every child, regardless of social background, with the opportunity to succeed.
- developing students’ independent learning skills and resilience, with coherently planned and sequenced curricula, enabling the development of knowledge and skills for further/higher education, training and employment.
- embedding fundamental British values and social, moral, spiritual and cultural purpose.
Top 10 Xaverian Standards
- Xaverians want to make a DIFFERENCE
- Xaverians are DIFFERENT
- Xaverians have a PLAN
- Xaverians NEVER GIVE UP
- Xaverians know THEIR WORTH
- Xaverians look after THEMSELVES
- Xaverians care for OTHERS
- Xaverians PLAY FAIR
- Xaverians WIN
- Xaverians know when to ask for HELP
- WE ARE XAVERIANS
Our teachers have jointly planned our curriculum ensuring it is logically sequenced to inspire a thirst for knowledge, to build on students’ prior learning and to develop deep knowledge.Our Curriculum focuses on developing expertise over time and embedding a core knowledge that will maximise cognitive development and long-term memory. Students learn from repeated activities which help knowledge to become long term memories. This requires repeated visits to concepts and vocabulary through reading that not only supports greater comprehension, but also increases word mastery. This development of metacognitive skills can act as a foundation for future academic success.
Our curriculum is delivered through a common lesson format: Xaverian Teachers. All staff follow this format so that students benefit from a consistent approach to teaching and learning.
The development of our students as young people; raising their awareness of the society in which they live and their roles within it; and preparing them for life after school are of fundamental importance to us, and are key drivers in our Personal Development Curriculum: PSHE, Citizenship, Collective Worship, Critical Thinking and Character Development.
Our Y7-9 (KS3) curriculum is designed to offer students a broad and balanced opportunity to experience a wide range of subjects. All students will study the following subjects during their first three years at SFX:
- Religious Education
- Modern Foreign Languages (MFL), Spanish and French
- Humanities: History and Geography
- Creative Arts and Design: Music, Art, Design & Technology
- Physical Education
Our Y10-11 (KS4) curriculum offers a breadth of subjects open to all students.
Our Y10-11 Core Curriculum consists of English, Maths, Science, PE and Religious Studies. In addition to option subjects consisting of:
- Art (GCSE)
- Business Studies (GCSE)
- Chemistry (GCSE)
- Computer Science (GCSE)
- Engineering (Vocational Award)
- Film Studies (GCSE)
- French (GCSE)
- Geography (GCSE)
- IT (Cambridge National)
- Music (GCSE)
- PE (GCSE)
- Sport (BTEC)
- Technology (GCSE)
In Years 12 and 13 (KS5) we believe it is vital to offer a broad and balanced curriculum to meet the needs of all learners. Students have the flexibility and the opportunity to study a wide range of courses. We offer 15 A levels, 3 BTECs, 1 CTEC and 2 Cambridge Technicals. Our curriculum is further enhanced with the opportunities of further study at St Julies, our collaborative partners where students have access to a further 6 A Levels, 1 BTEC and 1 Technical Certificate.
Offering our students learning experiences beyond the classroom is a key part of our curriculum and our enrichment programme is firmly embedded within every day school life. We have a strong tradition of providing outdoor education opportunities, leadership opportunities, after school activities and educational visits. We track the attendance of our students at these experiences and endeavour to ensure that all students take part in enrichment during their time at SFX.
Our intent, ambition and implementation ensure that all students ‘Know more, remember more and do more over time’ , whatever their academic, social or personal circumstances. Students’ personal attributes, their F.A.I.R values and their academic qualifications, mean that each student is equipped to thrive in their personal journey.