Curriculum Leader: Mrs J Holmes
Mr L. Atkinson
It is the aim of the Computer Science department to enable all students to develop skills and knowledge in Computer Science, IT and digital technologies to prepare them for their future in a world where the use of this technology is fully embodied. We wish to enthuse students to have an understanding that goes far deeper than just interacting with the interface that they currently operate.
We aim to enable students to develop a passion for this subject and an understanding that there are no limits to their own development in programming and IT. An important life skill for anyone is to be able to problem solve and we aim to allow students to embrace the unknown and give them the confidence to feel empowered in their approach to the more challenging aspects of computer science.
Our students will:
- Build knowledge and understanding of Computer Science and IT
- Learn transferable skills for a digital world
- Think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- Analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience
- Explore the related career paths to this subject
Coding Workshops, Tech workshops, Lunchtime revision sessions.
- Look out for and discuss Computer Science related topics in the news and ask your child to actively seek these articles out.
- Encourage them to follow the official social media of major tech companies and leading tech innovators.
- The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester (there are also great online resources).
- Bletchley Park in Milton Keynes
- Computer related TV/films e.g. The Capture (BBC), The Imitation Game, The Social Network, We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists, Dr Who
- TED Talks on technology and the digital world
- News articles about the digital world e.g. Artificial Intelligence
- Books of interest: Computer Coding Python Games for Kids (author: Carol Vorderman), Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film The Imitation Game (author: Andrew Hodges)
- BBC Bitesize KS3 Computing – https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zvc9q6f
- The Oak Academy KS3 Computing – https://classroom.thenational.academy/subjects-by-key-stage/key-stage-3/subjects/computing
- Code Academy – https://www.codecademy.com/
- Hour of Code – https://hourofcode.com/uk
- IDLE Python- Trinket – https://trinket.io/python/14dfbbfe62